The number one topic on everyone’s mind as they head into those last few weeks of pregnancy – what to pack for the hospital and when to pack it!
As far as when to pack the hospital bag, a good rule of thumb is to try and have an idea of what you’re going to pack (and what you still need) before 36 weeks. Between 36 – 38 weeks, it’s good to have your bag packed and ready to go. If you don’t want to have it packed just yet, try to get all of the items you will be taking together in one area that can be easily picked up and ready to go in an instant.
A couple of minutes before I left for my 36 week appointment, I looked at my husband and asked if he could be on standby to get all of our things ready in case we had to head to the hospital immediately after my appointment. My husband quickly freaked out and said what! What do I need to bring? What do we need for the baby? I smiled and said I was kind of kidding but he should still be ready . . . so at least I am entertaining myself during these last few weeks. My husband may disagree 🙂 That evening when I got home, I got all of baby’s stuff and my stuff together and my husband got his, so we were prepared! I had done a lot of research on google, Pinterest and talking to other moms about what we will really need. The hospital may also provide items so it’s always good to check with the hospital or your doctor on what they provide/don’t provide.
The number one item you need is a car seat. I believe the hospital won’t even let you leave without one! If you’re not sure how to install it or have questions, you can google where you can get a car seat check in your area. Although, a lot of places are doing virtual appointments because of covid, so you could even look at a YouTube video (and the instruction manual).
What is in my bag:
- Prenatal vitamins
- Hair brush, headband and hair ties
- 2-3 nightgowns or pajama sets
- Nursing bras
- Sweatershirt/jacket and maternity leggings/sweat pants
- Maxi dress or loose fitting outfit to leave the hospital
- Travel shampoo/conditioner/soap
- Fuzzy comfortable socks
- Flip flops for shower
- Pump and BF essentials
- Nice to have:
- Make up and make up remover wipes
- Dry shampoo
- Thank you notes
- Water bottle
- Own blanket and pillow
- Swaddle (2-3)
- Onesies (2-3) – Newborn and 0-3 sizes
- Emery board
- 2-3 outfits for the day
- Sleeping clothes
- Contacts/contact solution/glasses
- Blanket/sleeping bag and pillow
- Flip flops
- Sweat pants
- And for some unknown reason . . . my husband packed a rain jacket, I don’t think you need this 🙂
- Ear plugs/eye mask
- Iphone chargers
- iPhone charging station
- Portable fan
- Hard candy
- Boppy or nursing pillow (some hospitals will provide this)
- Empty bag for hospital goodies
- Hand sanitizer (although the hospital might have)
Hope this was helpful! What other items did you need or not need at the hospital? Do you have any additional tips for when to pack your bag?
Sparkling in Style